San Diego

Fire ripped through a wooden duplex early Tuesday morning at 24th and Imperial streets, injuring one person and causing $175,000 damage to the structure and an adjoining liquor store, a San Diego Fire Department spokesman said.

The blaze was put out by 25 firefighters within an hour.

Manuel Garcia, a relative of the family who lived in the duplex, is listed in fair condition at UC San Diego Medical Center with burns on his face, hands and legs. Garcia was asleep when the blaze broke out. The rest of the family escaped unharmed.

Spilled gasoline in the kitchen ignited by a stove or water heater pilot light caused the blaze, which traveled to the Bottle and Basket Liquor Store in front of the duplex.

The liquor store had $20,000 damage. The Metro Arson Strike Team ruled the fire an accident.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
63°