Advertisement

2 Suspects in Scam Fail to Show Up for Arraignment

The arraignment of four county residents charged with running an investment scam that took in $1.8 million was postponed Wednesday after two of the suspects failed to appear in court.

Named in separate 46-count felony warrants issued last week are Donald C. Dyer, Louise Nancy Dyer--his wife--and two business associates, Paul Mareks and Carlos Gonzales.

Dyer, who has been in jail on a related probation violation charge since June 23, was brought to court by sheriff’s deputies Wednesday for the scheduled arraignment hearings. Gonzales voluntarily appeared to surrender on the warrant, according to Deputy Dist. Atty. William Lawrence Overtoom.

But Dyer’s wife notified the court that she was ill and did not appear. Also absent, Overtoom said, was Mareks, who is now considered a fugitive.

Advertisement

Gonzales was released on his own recognizance pending the Oct. 11 arraignment.

Overtoom said arraignment of the four was postponed until Oct. 11.

According to the warrants for the Dyers, Gonzales and Mareks, the four are believed to have operated an interlinking series of companies used to solicit investments in varied schemes, ranging from revival of the failed Clenet luxury sports car manufacturing operation to privately owned pay telephones.


Advertisement