It's Oscar time again and the tension is mounting. To pass the time until the envelopes are opened, here's a quiz for which a doctorate in Academy Award history will do you no good. . . .
1. Identify this Original Screenplay scenario: Southern bride Ann is bored with husband John, who is sleeping with her sister, Cynthia. Things change when John's friend Graham comes to town and turns on the television.
a. "Steel Magnolias" b. "Camille Claudel" c. "sex, lies and videotape" d. "Crimes and Misdemeanors"
2. Where was the "Field of Dreams"?
a. Indiana b. Iowa c. Illinois d. Cambodia
3. Who played Christy Brown?
4. Which song did Michelle Pfeiffer as Susie Diamond in "The Fabulous Baker Boys" complain about performing?
a. "Evergreen" b. "I Am Woman" c. "Under the Sea" d. "Feelings"
5. Where did Miss Daisy get driven?
a. Alabama b. Georgia c. Mississippi d. Florida
6. Who is the only Best Director nominee who may also get a Best Actor award?
a. Woody Allen, "Crimes and Misdemeanors" b. Spike Lee, "Do the Right Thing" c. Kenneth Branagh, "Henry V" d. Bruce Beresford, "Driving Miss Daisy."
7. Which did not receive a Visual Effects nomination?
a. "The Abyss" b. "Batman" c. "Back to the Future II" d. "Adventures of Baron Munchausen"
8. Who will receive a Lifetime Achievement award this year?
a. Akira Kurosawa b. George Lucas c. George Burns d. Bob Hope
9. Of these Supporting Actress nominees, which two have won previously in the same category?
a. Dianne Wiest b. Lena Olin c. Julia Roberts d. Anjelica Huston
10. "This movie offers you two choices: you can be overwhelmed by it or do battle with it. Either way it leaves you drained." About which nominee was Newsweek referring to?
a. "Do the Right Thing" b. "Born on the 4th of July" c. "Enemies, A Love Story" d. "The Little Mermaid"
ANSWERS: 1-C, 2-B, 3-C, 4-D, 5-B, 6-C, 7-B, 8-A, 9-A & D, 10-B.