BUENA PARK : Trash Fire Leads to May Co. Evacuation

Customers and employees in a May Co. department store were evacuated from the building Monday because of a small but smoky fire in a trash dumpster, authorities said.

Nobody was injured in the fire, which was apparently caused by a cigarette thrown into the dumpster at the store's middle level, Buena Park Fire Chief William Cleveland said.

The fire, which began at 11:10 a.m. in the store on La Palma Avenue, was largely extinguished by overhead sprinklers before firefighters arrived, Cleveland said.

Customers and employees were evacuated for about 90 minutes as a precaution, he said.

Store officials said the fire caused no significant damage.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
61°