Meiners Oaks : Builder to Take Case to Top State Court

A Santa Barbara developer who is determined to build a 50-house subdivision in Meiners Oaks said Tuesday that he is taking his lawsuit against Ventura County to the state Supreme Court.

"I think we have a chance of getting heard," said John J. Schuck of Franciscan West Developments, who has been trying to develop a 25-acre parcel west of Nordhoff High School since 1985.

"I'm not surprised he's going to file, considering how far he's gone," said Andrew B. Gustafson, assistant county counsel. But, he said, "The chances of getting a review by the Supreme Court are always exceedingly slim."

Schuck contends that the county was reviewing his application when the Board of Supervisors amended the General Plan in 1988 to prohibit new subdivisions that would increase traffic on California 33.

He sued the county later that year and won a ruling from the Ventura County Superior Court last year.

The county appealed and the state Court of Appeal reversed the lower court's ruling in August.

Schuck asked the appellate court to reconsider his case but the court declined last week.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
60°