The Ventura County district attorney's office has filed charges against five teen-agers arrested in what officials call a racially motivated drive-by shooting in Oxnard last week.
The five are scheduled for a hearing in Ventura County Juvenile Court on May 29 that will determine if they should be tried as juveniles or adults.
Charges of shooting into an inhabited building, shooting from a motor vehicle and violations of civil rights and numerous burglary, weapons and conspiracy charges were filed against the youths on Tuesday, Deputy Dist. Atty. Eric Bond said.
Two 17-year-olds and three 16-year-olds have been in custody in Juvenile Hall since their arrests after the alleged shooting.
Two of the youths are Vietnamese and three are Latinos.
If tried as adults and convicted, the youths could receive sentences ranging from eight to 14 years in state prison; if tried as juveniles, they could be sentenced to the California Youth Authority until age 25, Bond said.
The shooting occurred at 1:30 a.m. Sunday, when about 10 bullets were fired into the home of a Vietnamese family in the 100 block of South G Street, officials said.
Although family members were home at the time, no one was hurt.