Alarm Alerts Mother to Son’s Burning Crib
A pregnant woman saved her 18-month-old son by grabbing him from his burning crib Wednesday morning, firefighters said.
Rita McCarty, 33, awoke to the smoke alarm at 10 a.m. and found her son’s room on fire, Orange County Fire Capt. Dan Young said. An extension cord under the crib had short-circuited, Young said.
The boy, Tony, was not seriously injured, nor were other family members in the house on Via Portola.
But five exotic birds died in the blaze, Young said. Their value was estimated at $5,500.