Boy Dies of Burns From Christmas Tree Fire
A 3-year-old Wilmington boy has died from injuries suffered when the family’s Christmas tree caught fire, authorities said Saturday.
George Villegas, who was being treated for severe burns at Kaiser Permanente Foundation Hospital-Los Angeles, died Christmas Eve about 7 p.m., a hospital spokesman said.
The Wednesday fire also severely injured five others, including his mother and an 8-month-old baby.
Investigators believe the blaze was sparked either by a wall heater or a short-circuited Christmas light.