Suspect Arrested in Fatal Stabbing : Slaying: Police answering report of a break-in chase a man who fled out the window of the victim’s apartment in Huntington Beach.


A 27-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder Sunday after police saw him jump out the window of an apartment where a man was fatally stabbed, according to authorities.

Police identified the suspect as Anthony Paul Koudssi. He was being held without bond Sunday at the Huntington Beach jail.

The victim’s name had not yet been released Sunday afternoon pending notification of relatives. Police said he lived in a ground-floor unit at Woodlake Apartments, 6100 Edinger St.

Police were called to the apartment complex at 9:34 a.m. when a caller reported a man trying to break into an apartment through the window.


The window is visible from heavily traveled Edinger Street.

When officers arrived, a window screen was on the ground and they heard a struggle inside the apartment, according to Lt. Charles Poe.

One witness said he heard the police shout for whoever was inside the apartment to come out with hands up.

As the officers prepared to force their way into the apartment, the suspect kicked out a second window, jumped out and ran, police said.


Police chased the suspect into another set of apartments behind the Woodlake complex. Poe said he was later found hiding in an apartment at 16072 Springdale.

Other officers entered the Edinger Street apartment and discovered the victim lying face down, Poe said.

Police said they did not have a motive in the case. It was not known whether Koudssi and the victim knew each other.

Residents of the well-tended apartment complex across the street from a strip shopping mall described the victim as a quiet man who lived alone and kept to himself.


“He didn’t speak a lot of English but he was a cool guy,” said Vince Romer, 17, an upstairs neighbor. “An old lady fell and broke her hip once out by the pool a couple of months ago and he helped carry her back inside to her apartment.”

Others were visibly shaken by the slaying, including a woman who had just signed a lease to move in April 1. She said she had come by Sunday morning to pay the security deposit. On the way out of the manager’s office, she stopped to find out why policemen were standing guard outside one of the apartments.

“I guess there’s another vacant apartment now but there’s no way I’d take that one,” she said. “I’d never move into a place where I knew the person before me had died.”