Man Suffers Severe Electrical Shock at Power Station
A man suffered a severe electrical shock Tuesday when he touched a high-voltage transformer at Southern California Edison’s Gisler Avenue power station, fire officials said.
The man, believed to be in his 40s, suffered second-degree burns over about 70% of his body and was in critical condition at UCI Medical Center in Orange. He could not be immediately identified because his clothes were burned and firefighters could not find any of the man’s identification, Costa Mesa Battalion Chief Ken Soltis said.
The victim apparently climbed over a fence at the power station and somehow made contact with a transformer, Soltis said. The electrical shock, estimated to be more than 20,000 volts, set the man’s clothes on fire.
Soltis said fire officials don’t know why the man entered the power station.