Canyon High is expected to name a coach today. Former Canyon Coach Harry Welch, who guided the Cowboys to three Southern Section titles in the 1980s, is the leading candidate. He declined comment Tuesday night.
Canyon Principal Vicki Engbrecht is expected to announce the decision today.
The two other candidates are Mike Kane, the freshman coach at Canyon, and Jack Bowman, who coached at Saugus from 1991-96.
* Chatsworth High is seeking a defensive coordinator for its freshman-sophomore team. Information: (818) 341-6211, Ext. 682.
* Ebony Davis, a 6-foot-1 post player from Antelope Valley College and Rosamond High, has signed with the Northridge women's team.
Davis, an all-state and all-Foothill Conference selection last season as a sophomore, is the first player to sign with the Matadors since Coach Frozena Jerro was promoted from interim coach March 7.
* Dayne Crist of Canoga Park had 11 points and 16 rebounds to lead the Valley-based American Roundball Corp. boys' team over Potomac Valley of Washington, D.C., 36-32, in the championship game of the Amateur Athletic Union 9-and-under national tournament.
* Cory Kruseman of Ventura finished fifth in the Sprint Car Racing Assn. 40-lap feature Saturday at Perris Auto Speedway. Troy Rutherford of Ojai was eighth.
Kruseman ranks second in the SCRA standings with 1,117 points.
* Top-seeded Gene Malin of Woodland Hills leads several players from the region who advanced into today's round of 32 at the U.S. National Men's 45-and-over Hardcourt Championships at Westlake Tennis and Swim Club.
Malin defeated Rod Heckelman of San Rafael, 6-4, 6-2, in Tuesday's round of 64. Robert Ouwendijk of Somis beat Joe Green of Newbury Park, 6-1, 6-2, and Chris Robb of Topanga defeated Duane Hale of Perris, 6-2, 6-4. Andrew Stanley of Camarillo defeated Westlake Village resident Mel Sarowitz, 6-0, 6-1. Jurgen Janson, also of Westlake Village, topped Jim Strong of Fountain Valley, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6), and Westlake Village resident Tom Wire defeated Gary Martin of Cave Creek, Ariz., 6-3, 6-2.
* The Summer Pro Youth Basketball Camp is scheduled Monday through July 14 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Highland High.
Registration forms are available at several stores in the Antelope Valley Mall.
Information: Martin Prince (661) 266-9957.
* Crespi High coaches will direct camps at the Encino school. Football Coach Ron Gueringer will conduct a flag football camp for boys ages 10-13 Monday through July 16 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. A camp for boys ages 7-9 will be held July 26-30.
Coach Dick Dornan will direct a basketball camp for boys ages 8-13 July 19-23 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Information: (818) 345-1672.
* The Cal Lutheran point guard and perimeter basketball camp for boys and girls ages 7-17 is scheduled Monday through July 14 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The camp is directed by Cal Lutheran men's Coach Rich Rider. Cost is $105. Information: (805) 493-3404.
* Cal Lutheran is conducting week-long baseball camps for children ages 6-14. Sessions are 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. Information: (805) 493-3398.