1. LONG BEACH POLY, SS-DIV. I: Jackrabbits can excel at the dual- or championship-meet level equally well.
2. DOMINGUEZ, SS-DIV. II: Dons have 1-2 punch in sprinter Lionel Larry and hurdler Craig Woods, but they'll be even better if triple jumper Anthony Wheat fully recovers from football.
3. RIO MESA, SS-DIV. II: Spartans have a dynamic duo in distance runner Phillip Reid and hurdler Justin Johnson.
4. TAFT, CITY: Toreadors will again excel in the sprints and relays, but will they have enough talent in other areas to win a third City title in four years?
5. ST. JOHN BOSCO, SS-DIV. II: Joseph Cowan excels in 400 meters and 300 low hurdles for the Braves.
6. ESPERANZA, SS-DIV. I: Distance runner Mike Chavez and shotputter Gabe Long will lead Aztecs.
7. KATELLA, SS-DIV. II: Hong Nguyen, Brandon Mora and Jose Magana give Knights three of top four returning pole vaulters in Southland.
8. BIRMINGHAM, CITY: Sprinter Chad Green, distance runner Damian Rinaldi and hurdler Dennis Keyes return from last year's City championship team.
9. LOYOLA, SS-DIV. I: Mark Matusak and Micah Tyhurst, top two runners on state Division I championship cross-country team, should help them extend their 98 dual-meet winning streak.
10. SANTA MARGARITA, SS-DIV. II: Eagles will be led by Jeff Jacobs, runner-up in the 400 in last year's state championships.
-- John Ortega