KENTUCKY DERBY CAPSULES
Order of horses: By saddlecloth numbers. Odds: Morning line (in parenthesis). Post time: Today, 3 p.m. PDT. TV: Ch. 4 (coverage starts at 2 p.m.
Note: Sir Cherokee was scratched Friday after suffering a fractured right rear ankle. Sir Cherokee, at morning-line odds of 15-1, had drawn the No. 3 post position. As a result, the horses in the No. 1 and No. 2 posts will be moved over one position, leaving the No. 1 post vacant.
1. SUPAH BLITZ (50-1); Post: No. 2. Owners: Jacquelin Tortora and Bee Bee Stables. Trainer: Emanuel Tortora. Jockey: Rosemary Homeister Jr.; Sire: Mecke. Dam: Boots’n Jackie. Record: 15 starts, 2 wins, 7 seconds, 3 thirds. Earnings: $437,330.
Comment: The most active of the Derby runners has won or placed in 10 stakes.... Homeister is the fifth woman to ride in the race, joining Diane Crump, Patty Cooksey, Andrea Seefeldt and Julie Krone.... She added the Jr. to avoid confusion with her mother, who is a trainer in Florida.... Supah Blitz’s sire Mecke was fifth as part of the mutuel field in the 1995 Derby.... Supah Blitz ran second to Dynever in the Aventura Stakes in his most recent race at Gulfstream on April 5 and there are many who believe that lightly-raced colt might be the country’s best 3-year-old.
2. BRANCUSI (30-1); Post: No. 3. Owner: Michael Tabor. Trainer: Patrick Biancone. Jockey: Tony Farina; Sire: Deputy Commander. Dam: Treize. Record: 7-1-2-3. Earnings: $229,220.
Comment: Since breaking his maiden by five lengths at Santa Anita on Feb. 15, he has been a close third behind Buddy Gil and Atswhatimtalknabout at nearly 49-1 in the San Felipe Stakes and second to Peace Rules in the Blue Grass at Keeneland.... The first Derby for both the jockey and trainer.... Tabor won the 1995 Derby with Thunder Gulch.... Farina is the rider who was suspended for seven days by the Santa Anita stewards for failure to control the horse that caused the spill that ended Laffit Pincay’s career on March 1, Santa Anita Handicap day.
4. ATSWHATIMTALKNABOUT (12-1); Post: No. 4. Owners: B. Wayne Hughes and Biscuit Stables LLC. Trainer: Ron Ellis. Jockey: David Flores.; Sire: A.P. Indy. Dam: Lucinda K. Record: 5-2-1-1. Earnings: $164,120. Comment: Will race with blinkers for the first time today... Disappointed as the favorite in the Santa Anita Derby in what was his fifth race in three months.... Majority owner Hughes sold a 10% interest for a reported $500,000 to a group of Hollywood investors, among them Steven Spielberg, in March.... This is the first Derby starter for Ellis.... Purchased for $900,000 as a 2-year-old in February, 2002, the dark bay has yet to win a stakes race.
5. PEACE RULES (8-1); Post: No. 5. Owner: Ed Gann. Trainer: Bobby Frankel. Jockey: Edgar Prado.; Sire: Jules. Dam: Hold To Fashion. Record: 8-5-1-1. Earnings: $1,124,990. Comment: Has proven himself to be something more than a turf horse with consecutive wins in the Louisiana Derby and Blue Grass Stakes.... The second Frankel entrant could be second choice in the wagering to his more publicized stablemate Empire Maker.... Was purchased privately by Gann and Frankel after he beat maidens on the Belmont Park turf last Sept. 25 and has subsequently won four of five.... The knock against him is how slow his final three-eighths of a mile were in the Blue Grass over a speed-favoring surface at Keeneland.
6. FUNNY CIDE (15-1); Post: No. 6. Owner: Sackatoga Stable. Trainer: Barclay Tagg. Jockey: Jose Santos.; Sire: Distorted Humor. Dam: Belle’s Good Cide. Record: 6-3-2-0. Earnings: $439,185. Comment: He’s yet to win a race not restricted to New York-breds, but was third in the Louisiana Derby -- later moved up to second after Kafwain’s disqualification for a positive drug test -- and finished second in the Wood.... One of the more lively longshots because of his tactical speed and the fact he’s a trier.... No New York bred has ever won the Derby.... Like Buddy Gil, he is a gelding.
7. OFFLEE WILD (30-1); Post: No. 7. Owner: Azalea Stables. Trainer: Thomas V. Smith. Jockey: Robby Albarado.; Sire: Wild Again. Dam: Alvear. Record: 6-2-1-1. Earnings: $182,785. Comment: Winless since his 27-1 surprise in the Holy Bull on Jan. 18 at Gulfstream Park.... Another trainer making his Derby debut, Smith won only four races in 2002.... One of the leading riders in the country, Albarado has yet to come close in six tries in the Derby. His best finish was a fifth with Request For Parole last year. Don’t look for the jockey to do that well this afternoon.
8. BUDDY GIL (8-1); Post: No. 8. Owners: Donnie McFadden, Scott Merrill, Desperado Stables. Trainer: Jeff Mullins. Jockey: Gary Stevens.; Sire: Eastern Echo. Dam: Really Rising. Record: 9-5-1-1. Earnings: $729,455. Comment: Trying to become the first gelding to win the Derby since Clyde Van Dusen in 1929.... Has won three in a row since joining the Mullins barn, taking the Baldwin Stakes and San Felipe before his narrow win in the Santa Anita Derby.... The final three-eighths of a mile in the SA Derby was slow, leading many to believe the first two finishers will have the same fate in Kentucky as did Came Home and Easy Grades. They finished 1-2 in last year’s Santa Anita Derby, then were sixth and 13th, respectively, a month later in the Kentucky Derby.
9. INDIAN EXPRESS (12-1); Post: No. 9. Owner: Phil Chess. Trainer: Bob Baffert. Jockey: Tyler Baze.; Sire: Indian Charlie. Dam: Liba’s Choice. Record: 4-2-1-0. Earnings: $161,191. Comment: Bred in Utah, he began his career with a pair of wins in Panama before being purchased by Baffert for Chess on the recommendation of Laffit Pincay.... Baffert said the colt would have been a Derby mount for Pincay had he not suffered the injury that prematurely ended his career.... Ran a strong race in the Santa Anita Derby, setting a fast and pressured pace before yielding to Buddy Gil.... He’ll probably go for the lead today as Baffert hopes to have him do what War Emblem did in 2002.
10. LONE STAR SKY (50-1); Post: No. 10. Owner: Walter L. New. Trainer: Thomas Amoss. Jockey: Shane Sellers. Sire: Conquistador Cielo. Dam: Ministrada. Record: 10-3-3-1. Earnings: $480,735. Comment: Another whose status wasn’t clear until earlier in the week.... Has lost last six since winning the fabled Cradle Stakes last Sept. 2 at River Downs.... Amoss wins consistently at a high percentage, racing primarily in the Midwest and Louisiana.... Sire Conquistador Cielo won the 1982 Belmont after not running in the first two races in the Triple Crown.... Deserves to be one of the longest shots on the board.... Scored his only graded stakes victory sprinting in the Bashford Manor on July 7 at Churchill Downs.
11. DOMESTIC DISPUTE (30-1); Post: No. 11. Owners: David Bienstock and Chuck Winner. Trainer: Pat Gallagher. Jockey: Alex Solis. Sire: Unbridled’s Song. Dam: Majestical Moment. Record: 10-2-2-2. Earnings: $280,687. Comment: Purchased a week ago by Winner and Bienstock from Gary Garber and transferred to Gallagher from the barn of Bob Baffert.... His previous connections had no Derby plans for the colt after he had finished third in the Lexington Stakes on April 19.... Scored his only stakes win in the Santa Catalina on Jan. 18 at Santa Anita.... Domestic Dispute’s sire was the beaten favorite in the 1996 Derby.... The first Derby starter for the Irish-born Gallagher, a former assistant to John Sullivan and Bill Shoemaker.
12. EMPIRE MAKER (6-5); Post: No. 12. Owner: Juddmonte Farms. Trainer: Bobby Frankel. Jockey: Jerry Bailey. Sire: Unbridled. Dam: Toussaud. Record: 5-3-1-1. Earnings: $1,115,800; Comment: Will be one of the shortest-priced favorites in the race in years.... Hasn’t lost since the addition of blinkers, winning the Florida Derby by almost 10 lengths March 15, then scoring an easier-than-looked victory in the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct three weeks ago.... Bailey won the Derby with Sea Hero in 1993 and Grindstone in 1996.... Frankel, a dominant trainer for several years, has never won a Triple Crown race.... Empire Maker’s dam Toussaud is one of the world’s most successful broodmares, having produced stakes winners Honest Lady, Decarchy and Chester House.
13. EYE OF THE TIGER (50-1); Post: No. 13. Owner: John D. Gunther. Trainer: Jerry Hollendorfer. Jockey: Eibar Coa. Sire: American Chance. Dam: Dial A Trick. Record: 5-2-1-2. Earnings: $122,209. Comment: His participation in the Derby didn’t become definite until a few days ago.... Scored both of his wins at Golden Gate Fields.... He made his graded stakes debut in the Lexington, finishing second to Scrimshaw.... Hollendorfer, perennially the leading trainer in Northern California, has had back luck in Kentucky. Event Of The Year and Globalize, colts he trained, were knocked out of the race in recent years by injuries suffered just days before the Derby.
14. TEN CENTS A SHINE (50-1); Post: No. 14. Owner: Ken and Sarah Ramsey. Trainer: Wayne Lukas. Jockey: Calvin Borel. Sire: Devil His Due. Dam: Aunt Mottz. Record: 6-2-1-0. Earnings: $80,120. Comment: Will be a big price today and deservedly so.... Has not come close in any of his races in graded stakes this year and his only victory was a dead heat with Senor Swinger in an allowance at Gulfstream more than three months ago.... Like Harlan’s Holiday, who was the beaten favorite in last year’s Derby, he was bred in Ohio.... A leading candidate to finish last.
15. OUTTA HERE (50-1); Post: No. 15. Owners: Al Eisman and Bill Currin. Trainer: Bill Currin. Jockey: Kent Desormeaux. Sire: Dehere. Dam: Just Out. Record: 8-2-2-2. Earnings: $504,260. Comment: Another longshot, his claim to fame was winning the $500,000 Delta Jackpot last Dec. 21 at Delta Downs in Louisiana.... Purchased for $37,000 in September, 2001, at Keeneland, he was fourth in the United Arab Emirates Derby in Dubai in his last race March 29.... First Derby runner for Currin.... Desormeaux has won two Derbies, with Real Quiet in 1998 and Fusaichi Pegasus in 2000.
16. TEN MOST WANTED (6-1); Post: No. 16. Owners: Horizon Stable, Michael Jarvis, et al. Trainer: Wally Dollase. Jockey: Pat Day. Sire: Deputy Commander. Dam: Wanted Again. Record: 5-2-1-1. Earnings: $373,460. Comment: Rose to prominence after his easy victory -- against a suspect field -- in the Illinois Derby at Hawthorne last month.... War Emblem won the same race last year before his Derby shocker.... A $145,000 purchase as a 2-year-old, he could be second choice in the betting today and seems to be peaking at the right time.... Dollase’s other Derby starters have been Alyrob, who finished eighth in 1996 and Momentus, who finished 14th in 1987.
17. SCRIMSHAW (15-1); Post: No. 17. Owners: Bob and Beverly Lewis. Trainer: Wayne Lukas. Jockey: Cornelio Velasquez. Sire: Gulch. Dam: Rogue Girl. Record: 5-3-0-1. Earnings: $308,879. Comment: Hopes to complete the same Lexington-Derby parlay Charismatic did for the Lewises and Lukas in 1999.... Underwent an operation after his distant fourth in the Hutcheson on Feb. 15 at Gulfstream Park to correct a breathing problem. The procedure obviously did some good given his performance in the Lexington.... Velasquez, a top rider in Florida, was a surprise choice for the Derby and this will be his first mount in the race.... Lukas has won the Derby four times and has had at least one starter in 22 of the last 23 years.