Green tips for renters
Living green is possible even if you rent. Here are some tips for an eco-friendly apartment:
• Use biodegradable trash bags.
• Run the dishwasher full, then air-dry the dishes.
• Put aerators on faucets to save water.
• Buy chemical-free cleaning supplies. Or make your own. Use vinegar and old newspapers to shine windows. Scrub countertops with baking soda.
• Help your refrigerator stay cool by cleaning the coils regularly and locating it far from the stove.
• Grow your own fruit and vegetables in a window box or in pots.
• Unplug small appliances when they’re not in use.
• Chuck kitchen leftovers into a composter to convert waste to fertilizer.