Vegan recipe: Swiss chard with cannellini beans
This recipe from registered dietitian Lisa Gibson provides protein, fiber, iron and vitamin C, and can be easily added to the couple’s culinary repertoire:
Note: this recipe has not been tested.
Swiss chard with cannellini beans
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 to 2 medium onions, sliced thin
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup vegetable broth
8 cups chopped Swiss chard leaves (remove and discard the long center stem before chopping)
1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes (with the juice)
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
Salt and pepper
Grated vegan or dairy mozzarella (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and crushed garlic and cook until soft.
2. Add the Swiss chard and cook until the chard starts to wilt.
3. Add the vegetable broth and cook until the chard is completely wilted.
4. Add the tomatoes, beans, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the fresh herbs and cook an additional 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
This dish can also be served over brown rice. Cheese can be added at the end if desired.