Recipe: Greek walnut cake
Greek walnut cake
Total time: About 1 hour
Servings: 12 to 16
Note: This cake is shown served with honeyed crème fraîche (whisk together 1/2 cup crème fraîche with 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey to sweeten).
2 cups sifted flour (8 ounces)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup ground walnuts (3½ ounces)
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon Champagne vinegar
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, allspice, cinnamon and ground walnuts.
3. Mix the eggs into the dry ingredients, 1 at a time, then whisk in the milk, vinegar and olive oil. Beat just until thoroughly combined.
4. Transfer the batter to a greased 13-by-9-inch pan.
5. Bake the cake on the center rack of the oven until puffed and golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Place the pan on a rack to cool slightly before slicing on the diagonal into diamond shapes.
Each of 16 servings: 309 calories; 4 grams protein; 32 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 19 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 41 mg cholesterol; 20 grams sugar; 112 mg sodium.
Eat your way across L.A.
Get our weekly Tasting Notes newsletter for reviews, news and more.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.