Recipe: Greek walnut cake
Greek walnut cake
Total time: About 1 hour
Servings: 12 to 16
Note: This cake is shown served with honeyed crème fraîche (whisk together 1/2 cup crème fraîche with 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey to sweeten).
2 cups sifted flour (8 ounces)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup ground walnuts (3½ ounces)
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon Champagne vinegar
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, allspice, cinnamon and ground walnuts.
3. Mix the eggs into the dry ingredients, 1 at a time, then whisk in the milk, vinegar and olive oil. Beat just until thoroughly combined.
4. Transfer the batter to a greased 13-by-9-inch pan.
5. Bake the cake on the center rack of the oven until puffed and golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Place the pan on a rack to cool slightly before slicing on the diagonal into diamond shapes.
Each of 16 servings: 309 calories; 4 grams protein; 32 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 19 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 41 mg cholesterol; 20 grams sugar; 112 mg sodium.
Eat your way across L.A.
Get our weekly Tasting Notes newsletter for reviews, news and more from critics Bill Addison and Patricia Escárcega.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.