Note: These are best with chocolate that is 70% cocoa.
Total time: 1 hour, plus 8 hours chilling
Servings: About 36 cookies
1/2 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
3/4 cup ground almonds
Powdered sugar, for garnish
1. Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over, but not touching, simmering water. Remove from the heat. Cut the butter into a few pieces and mix into the chocolate until melted.
2. Beat the eggs with an electric mixer, gradually adding the sugar until ribbons form, 5 to 10 minutes. Fold in the chocolate-butter mixture. Gently add the ground almonds. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Use a cookie scoop to form the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in granulated sugar, place on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart and immediately place in the oven.
5. Bake until the center of the cookies is no longer wet, 9 to 12 minutes. When slightly cool, lightly dust the cookies with powdered sugar.Each serving: 64 calories; 15 mg. sodium; 14 mg. cholesterol; 4 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 6 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram protein; 0.62 gram fiber