Recipe: Chocolate sparkle cookies
Note: These are best with chocolate that is 70% cocoa.
Total time: 1 hour, plus 8 hours chilling
Servings: About 36 cookies
1/2 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
3/4 cup ground almonds
Powdered sugar, for garnish
1. Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over, but not touching, simmering water. Remove from the heat. Cut the butter into a few pieces and mix into the chocolate until melted.
2. Beat the eggs with an electric mixer, gradually adding the sugar until ribbons form, 5 to 10 minutes. Fold in the chocolate-butter mixture. Gently add the ground almonds. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Use a cookie scoop to form the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in granulated sugar, place on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart and immediately place in the oven.
5. Bake until the center of the cookies is no longer wet, 9 to 12 minutes. When slightly cool, lightly dust the cookies with powdered sugar.Each serving: 64 calories; 15 mg. sodium; 14 mg. cholesterol; 4 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 6 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram protein; 0.62 gram fiber
It's a date
Get our L.A. Goes Out newsletter, with the week's best events, to help you explore and experience our city.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.