Ezell Ford’s family plans to sue LAPD over his fatal shooting
A lawyer representing the family of a mentally ill man who was shot and killed by two Los Angeles police officers in South L.A. last month said he plans to file a wrongful-death lawsuit against the LAPD.
Attorney Steven Lerman said he plans to release details about the lawsuit during a news conference Wednesday afternoon in downtown Los Angeles.
The announcement comes more than a month after the police shooting of Ezell Ford, 25, who was killed Aug. 11.
Police said gang officers with the Newton Division approached Ford as he was walking home along West 65th Street near Broadway. The department said Ford tackled one of the officers and reached for the officer’s gun, prompting both officers to open fire.
A witness who saw part of the incident told The Times that she saw no struggle.
The shooting is being investigated by the LAPD, the Police Commission’s inspector general and the district attorney’s office.
Ford’s death occurred two days after the police shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. Brown’s death sparked days of violence in Missouri and nationwide scrutiny of police behavior.
By contrast, the protests that followed Ford’s death in Los Angeles have been peaceful.
For more Southern California news follow @LATVives
The view from Sacramento
For reporting and exclusive analysis from bureau chief John Myers, get our California Politics newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.