Protesters march through Hollywood for Kelly Thomas
Scores of protesters marched through Hollywood on Saturday afternoon demanding justice for Kelly Thomas, the homeless man who died after a violent encounter with Fullerton police officers, Los Angeles police said.
Demonstrators marched west on the sidewalk along Hollywood Boulevard, said Sgt. Charles Slater of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The rally was peaceful and no arrests were made as of late Saturday afternoon, Slater said.
The July 2011 death of Kelly Thomas, 37, sparked months of protests. Orange County prosecutors charged one of the officers, Manuel Ramos, with second-degree murder, the first case in the county’s history involving a police officer charged with murder for on-duty actions.
Ramos was also charged with involuntary manslaughter. Another officer, Jay Cicinelli, was charged with involuntary manslaughter and assault under color of authority.
Last month, an Orange County jury acquitted both former officers of all charges.
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.