Advertisement
Share

Common foodborne illness killed 3 at Thanksgiving dinner, officials say

Health officials say common foodborne bacteria caused an illness that left three people dead and sickened 22 others who attended a Thanksgiving dinner at an events hall in Antioch, Calif.

Dr. Louise McNitt, of the Contra Costa County Health Department, said Tuesday the deaths and illnesses were caused by bacteria named Clostridium perfringens.

She says it is a common foodborne illness that in small amounts is generally not harmful to humans.

Dr. Marilyn Underwood says it was not determined which dish contained it.

Advertisement

Officials identified the three people who died as 43-year-old Christopher Cappetti, 59-year-old Chooi Keng Cheah, and 69-year-old Jane Evans. All were residents of assisted living facilities in Antioch.


Advertisement