Minnesota’s Jerry Kill released from hospital a day after suffering seizure


Minnesota Coach Jerry Kill was released from a Minneapolis hospital one day after he had a seizure in the locker room after a loss to Northwestern.

University physician Pat Smith issued a statement on Sunday saying Kill was treated and was “in excellent health.” Kill has struggled with seizures for years, including several times last season in his first year with Minnesota.

School officials did not provide a status for Kill for next weekend’s game at Wisconsin. But Kill has never missed a game because of seizures and Smith said the coach planned to be back in the office on Monday. Smith said Kill’s “only concern is his team and staff, and he is excited to resume his normal coaching duties as Minnesota prepares for Wisconsin this week.”


Pac-12 win for Cal

Quarterback Zach Maynard threw for a touchdown and ran for another as California beat Washington State 31-17, in Pullman, Wash, in a game that ended late Saturday.

C.J. Anderson rushed for two touchdowns as the Golden Bears (3-4 overall and 2-2 in the Pac-12) earned their eighth straight win over the Cougars.

Washington State (2-5, 0-4) has lost four in a row, and new Coach Mike Leach is still looking for his first Pac-12 win.

Cal got a balanced ground attack from Anderson, Brendan Bigelow and Maynard, who each rushed for more than 50 yards.

Washington State continued to suffer offensive woes, switching quarterbacks in the first quarter. The Cougars had trouble punching the ball into the end zone when they got into scoring position.

The Bears scored first, after Michael Lowe’s interception gave Cal the ball on its 25. On the third play, Maynard connected with his brother, Keenan Allen, on a short pass that turned into a 69-yard touchdown reception and a 7-0 Bears lead late in the first quarter.

On its next possession, Cal drove to Washington State’s 10 before a Maynard pass was intercepted by Anthony Carpenter. Jeff Tuel, who replaced Connor Halliday at quarterback after Halliday threw two interceptions, led the Cougars 86 yards to the three-yard line. But two incomplete passes and a short run made them settle for Andrew Furney’s 20-yard field goal to cut Cal’s lead to 7-3 in the second quarter.

Cal responded with a 75-yard drive, and Anderson ran over from the four to give the Bears a 14-3 lead that they held at the end of the first half.

Washington State receiver Marquess Wilson, who caught four passes for 87 yards, was injured late in the first half and did not return.

Texas A&M; holds on

Johnny Manziel accounted for six touchdowns, including two to fend off a late rally, and Texas A&M; held on for a 59-57 win over Louisiana Tech in Shreveport, La., to hand the Bulldogs their first loss in a game that ended early Sunday.

Texas A&M; (5-1), which entered the game ranked No. 22, won its fifth straight game and improved to 11-0 all-time against Louisiana Tech (5-1) in a game that was originally supposed to be played on Aug. 30 but was postponed because of Hurricane Isaac.

Louisiana Tech, ranked No. 23, trailed by 27 points early before mounting a furious second-half rally capped by a 13-yard touchdown reception by Ray Holley to cut the lead to two points with 38 seconds left. But Colby Cameron’s pass on a two-point conversion attempt was incomplete and the Aggies had the win.

Louisiana Tech had cut the lead to two earlier in the fourth quarter before Manziel answered with a 17-yard touchdown pass to Thomas Johnson to extend the lead to 53-44 with seven minutes left.

Manziel ran for 181 yards and three touchdowns and threw for 395 yards and three more scores. These teams entered the game averaging more than 1,000 yards between them, and as Saturday night crept into Sunday morning, they outdid even those outlandish standards.

Texas A&M; finished with 678 yards of offense and Louisiana Tech had 615. Tech’s output is even more impressive considering the offense sputtered in the first quarter and had only 33 yards.