Tony Romo to miss Cowboys’ OTAs after back surgery in April
Dallas quarterback Tony Romo will miss the Cowboys’ off-season workouts during the next three weeks after having what he called a “nagging” cyst removed from his back before the NFL draft last month, the Dallas Morning News is reporting.
Romo could be back in time for the team’s mandatory minicamp beginning June 11 and expects to be ready for the start of training camp in July.
“If this was the regular season and I had to play next week, I could,’’ Romo said Monday. “This is just about being smart.
“That’s why I did it now. This will have no effect on training camp. No way will it have an impact. And I still think there’s a good chance I’m on the field for mini-camp.’’
Romo, who signed a six-year, $108-million contract extension in March, said a persistent ache in the middle of his back caused him to get it checked out and eventually led to the outpatient procedure.
After returning to the Cowboys facility the following day to discuss training sessions, Romo was allowed to perform only light conditioning work the rest of April. But his training has picked up in recent days and he has been cleared to start throwing the ball.
“It was not much of anything,’’ Romo said of the procedure. “I just went in and had them look at it. It was more of an ache than anything. I just thought, ‘Well, it’s something I’d rather not feel.’
“I’d rather be 100%, not 96%. It’s done and it’s made me feel better.’’
Calvin Johnson broke NFL receiving record with broken fingers
Chargers’ Keenan Allen posts video of self wearing Raiders cap
Robert Griffin III fans discover his wedding registry and go nuts
Get our high school sports newsletter
Prep Rally is devoted to the SoCal high school sports experience, bringing you scores, stories and a behind-the-scenes look at what makes prep sports so popular.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.