Florida State drops Deondre Francois after abuse allegations surface
Florida State’s head football coach announced Sunday that quarterback Deondre Francois had been dismissed from the team after allegations of domestic abuse surfaced.
FSU head coach Willie Taggart said in a statement Sunday that he had notified Francois of his decision the night before. Taggart’s decision to drop Francois came the same day the quarterback’s girlfriend posted a video to Instagram alleging abuse by Francois.
“As we build a new culture and foundation for FSU football, we have high expectations for all of our student-athletes and we will not shy away from those high standards of conduct,” Taggart said. “We are moving forward as a program.”
The Tallahassee Democrat reports that the video shows neither Francois nor the girlfriend, but a woman can be heard begging a man to stop hitting her.
Francois hasn’t been charged with a crime. He couldn’t be reached and Francois’ uncle, Pat Julmiste, didn’t respond to a phone call seeking comment.
Only last month, Francois announced he would return to Florida State for his senior season in 2019.
The redshirt junior started 11 games for the Seminoles, who went 5-7 in 2018 but did not make a bowl game for the first time since 1982.
Francois completed 57.1 percent of his passes for 2,731 yards, 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. But in each of his last four starts, he completed fewer than 50 percent of his passes and had just two touchdowns along with six interceptions.
Get our high school sports newsletter
Prep Rally is devoted to the SoCal high school sports experience, bringing you scores, stories and a behind-the-scenes look at what makes prep sports so popular.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.