Las Vegas and Cancun top TripAdvisor’s 10 most popular summer destinations
Americans going on vacation this summer are choosing Las Vegas and Cancun, Mexico, over other destinations, according to travel booking and planning website TripAdvisor.
It also found that 88% of Americans plan to take a vacation this summer, up 6% over last year.
Looking at search and booking data for the upcoming summer season, TripAdvisor found these 10 places — split between domestic and overseas — to be the top picks.
The website also calculated the cost of a week’s vacation, using average costs for round-trip airfare, hotel, meals and tours.
1. Las Vegas ($2,224, including $384 for round-trip airfare; Southern Californians can fly for much less)
2. Cancun, Mexico ($2,480)
3. Orlando, Fla. ($1,932)
4. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic ($3,098)
5. Myrtle Beach, S.C. ($2,304)
6. New York City ($3,341; cheapest time to go is June 27 to July 3, TripAdvisor says)
7. London ($4,056)
8. Destin, Fla. ($2,807)
9. Paris ($3,579)
10. Playa del Carmen, Mexico ($2,374)
Get inspired to get away.
Explore California, the West and beyond with the weekly Escapes newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.