USC
Follow our live coverage of the UCLA vs. Stanford game
L.A. Now

Tar balls in South Bay: Beaches closed until further notice

Beaches closed until further noticed after tar balls found on South Bay coastline

South Bay beaches spotted with tar balls will remain closed until further notice due to ongoing efforts to clean the coastline and reduce the risk to public safety.

Crews are still working to remove small pieces of tar, mostly found in the Redondo Beach Jetty, King Harbor Jetty and Hermosa Beach, said Coast Guard Commander Charlene Downey.

“We have determined that the beaches are just not quite clean enough to be open to the public,” she said.

About 90% of the tar balls first seen Wednesday along the South Bay coastline have been removed. But it’s the remaining 10% that could still pose a risk to members of the public who come in contact with the petroleum-based product, Downey said. No new tar balls have appeared in the surf line since Wednesday.

So far, crews have retrieved 40 cubic yards of tar balls, equal to three dump trucks.

The beach closure, which affected nearly all South Bay beaches, from El Segundo to the Torrance-Redondo Beach border, has forced officials to shut down the portion of sand from the lifeguard towers to the water.

County officials advised beachgoers to stay away from cleanup efforts and out of the water because contact with the tar balls could be result in skin irritation.

The origin and chemical makeup of the tar balls still remain a mystery.

Officials gathered samples of the tar for testing. Test results could take a few days to several weeks.

The substance, however, has tested positive for low amounts of volatile organic compound, making it slightly flammable.

Scientists with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration are investigating whether the tar balls traveled from Santa Barbara County, where last week’s oil spill released as much as 101,000 gallons of crude. An estimated 21,000 gallons of oil spewed into the Pacific.

The tar balls could have come from natural seepage, which is not uncommon in the area.

“Anything is possible,” Downey said. “It’s a dynamic environment.”

The baseball- to football-sized tar balls were first spotted about 10 a.m. Wednesday just off the coast, and within hours they had washed ashore and coated sand between 34th Street in Manhattan Beach and Longfellow Avenue in Hermosa Beach.

On Thursday night, an oiled loon was found by a good Samaritan who tried to wash the gunk off but was unable to do so. A rescue team is caring for the bird. No other wildlife has been affected by the tar substance, said Saul Garcia of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.

For breaking news in California, follow @VeronicaRochaLA.

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times

UPDATES

11:52 a.m.: This post has been updated with new information from a Friday morning news conference.

May 29, 8:25 a.m.: This post has been updated with beaches remaining closed, cleanup continuing.

9:07 p.m.: This story has been updated with new information, including that the area beaches will remain closed until about 12 p.m. Friday.

2:07 p.m.: This story has been updated with new information, including the tar being moderately hazardous and flammable.

1:27 p.m.: This story has been updated with new details from a news conference, including that beaches may open Friday.

9:40 a.m.: This story has been updated with information from officials at a Thursday news conference.

7:57 a.m.: This story has been updated with information from NOAA.

This story was first published at 6:15 a.m.

80°