Here is a chronology of incidents involving the Navy and Marine Corps CH-53E Super Stallion helicopters, which were grounded Saturday for correction of a transmission problem.

Oct. 18, 1982--A malfunction on a Tustin-based CH-53E led to parts flying off the machine, causing $30,000 damage. No one was injured.

Nov. 30, 1982--A Tustin-based CH-53E lost cargo and fuel tank, causing $71,000 damage.

Feb. 10, 1983--A main rotor sheared on a CH-53E during a flight near San Diego. No one was injured. Damage was reported at $67,000.


July 19, 1983--While a CH-53E was taxiing at Tustin after landing, parts in the tail section were damaged when a bearing disintegrated. Damage was estimated at $45,000.

Sept. 27, 1983--A CH-53E about to land at Norfolk, Va., lost tail rotor power but managed to get down. Bearings and disconnect coupling were damaged. Damage was $42,400.

Jan. 19, 1984--A CH-53E landing at the Naval Air Station in Sigonella, Italy, lost hydraulic pressure when its main gearbox cooler fan shattered. Flying parts also damaged the oil lines and the rotor drive shaft. Damage was set at $56,000.

Feb. 14, 1984--A CH-53E with 45 troops aboard made an emergency landing during an East Coast operation after failure of the main rotor damper, which automatically stabilized the bounce of aircraft.


March 4, 1984--Crew aboard of a CH-53E reported hearing a loud bang and severe vibrations. Aircraft made an emergency landing in field. The main gearbox cooler fan had disintegrated. No one was injured.

June 1, 1984--A Tustin-based CH-53E was lifting a truck from the deck of a ship for transport to San Clemente Island during an exercise when a sling attached to the truck broke, sending a shock wave into aircraft that caused it to disintegrate. Four crewmen were killed.

Nov. 19, 1984--A CH-53E on a routine training mission at Camp Lejeune, N.C., exploded in mid-air as it was lifting a seven-ton howitzer. Six killed, 11 injured.

Feb. 7, 1985--A CH-53E crash-landed at Tustin Marine Corps Air Station as it was being put through manuevers that simulate the loss of power in automatic flight controls. Four persons were injured.


April 3, 1985--A CH-53E from Tustin suffered $36,000 in unspecified damages while flying a mission. Specific damage to aircraft was never reported. No one was injured.

July 13, 1985--A CH-53E from a Tustin squadron was on a flight in Okinawa when it struck a logging cable and exploded. Four persons were killed.

July 17, 1985--A CH-53E made an emergency landing on the East Coast after its main gearbox lost lubrication from disintegration of its primary oil pump. Broken pieces damaged the secondary oil pump.

July 19, 1985--A CH-53E operating in the Philippines was hovering at 60 feet when it lost power to the tail rotor, which sheared off. Damage was estimated at $188,000.


Aug. 25, 1985--A CH-53E from New River, N.C., was flying a routine supply and passenger run from Tustin to Twentynine Palms during a training operation when it caught fire and crashed in Laguna Hills. One of the three crew members was killed and the aircraft was a total loss.

Sept. 12, 1985--A CH-53E with three persons aboard developed fire in an engine and made an emergency landing near Norfolk, Va., Damage estimated at $38,000.

Sept. 24, 1985--During a routine practice flight at Norfolk, Va., a CH-53E developed problems during its initial climb after takeoff. Bearings in the main transmission had disintegrated. No one was injured.

May 9, 1986--A Tustin-based CH-53E involved in training mission near Twentynine Palms was making an approach to land when it crashed. Four persons were killed.


Oct. 21, 1986--A CH-53E from Tustin was returning to base when it developed transmission problems and the pilot made a precautionary landing in a farm field in Irvine. No one was injured.

Jan. 8, 1987--A Tustin CH-53E was on a routine training mission when it crashed and burned in the desert near the Salton Sea in Imperial County. Five crew members were killed.