An elevator motor overheated and set off a brief but costly electrical fire in an elevator shaft on the top floor of the 32-story Transamerica building in downtown Los Angeles Thursday night, officials said. No injuries were reported.
Five Fire Department units were sent to the scene shortly before 7 p.m. and firefighters hiked up to the top floor, officials said. By the time they found the location of the blaze, it had extinguished itself, department spokesman Greg Acevedo said. Damage was estimated at $150,000.