Advertisement

Local News in Brief : Stove Fire Blamed in Fatal Apartment Blaze

The blaze in a Sherman Oaks apartment building that forced the evacuation of 100 people was caused by food burning on a stove, Los Angeles Fire Department officials said Friday.

A woman, whose name was not released pending notification of relatives, died at Sherman Oaks Memorial Hospital about 10:30 p.m. Thursday from injuries suffered in the fire, authorities said. The woman, who lived in the apartment where the fire started, suffered smoke inhalation and second-degree burns over her upper body, said Vince Marzo, a Fire Department spokesman.

The fire gutted one unit of the 3-story apartment building in the 14200 block of Dickens Street, but its top floor sustained smoke damage, Marzo said. About 60 firefighters put out the fire at 9:47 p.m. Thursday, about 20 minutes after it started, Marzo said. The blaze caused an estimated $105,000 in damage, he said.

All apartment residents who were evacuated during the blaze were able to return to their homes Thursday night or Friday morning, the apartment manager said.

Advertisement


Advertisement
Advertisement