Advertisement
Share

San Diego

A fire in a four-story, multi-unit condominium near the Stardust Country Club Tuesday caused $30,000 damage and was apparently started when a plumber’s torch ignited insulation material, authorities said.

One firefighter was treated by paramedics and taken to Mercy Hospital in stable condition, Firefighter Larry Stewart said. No other injuries were reported.

The condominium, on Friars Road near Fresno Street, was under construction and partly occupied. However, the affected units were empty and no residents were evacuated.

Firefighters arriving at the scene at about 1:30 p.m. found smoke filling the first floor of several unoccupied units. Because the fire was in a wall between the first and second floors, firefighters had a difficult time locating the flames, Stewart said.

Advertisement

When the smoke got worse, more manpower was called in, authorities said. It took 50 firefighters about 40 minutes to put out the fire and ventilate the building.

Firefighter Jon McDonald said a construction worker told firefighters a plumber had been working in the area Tuesday morning.


Advertisement