The Devonshire Christian Church in Mission Hills held its traditional Easter services Sunday morning, despite an early morning fire that caused $30,000 damage to the church structure and $5,000 damage to its contents, a Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman said.
The damage was limited mostly to the church’s offices but the sanctuary was damaged by water and smelled like smoke.
Fire Capt. Vince Cardinale of the department’s Mission Hills station took his entire 10-member crew to the church to help it prepare for services.
“Most of the church area itself was in pretty good shape,” he said. “But there was a lot of plastic and water. They were cleaning it up and were worried about the smell of smoke.”
Nearby residents reported the fire in the 14900 block of Devonshire Street at 12:50 a.m. Firefighters had controlled the blaze by 1:15 a.m.
A Fire Department spokesman said the fire was caused by electrical problems in the structure’s attic.