SHORT TAKES : 1 Red Cross Concert Canceled

From Times Staff and wire service reports

Promoters have called off one of two planned disaster relief concerts sponsored by the American Red Cross because they were unable to line up performers in time for the scheduled Dec. 17 event in the Charlotte Coliseum.

But the second concert to be held the same night in Los Angeles will go on as planned. Barry Levine, a concert producer in Los Angeles, said most of the superstars needed to fill the 25,000-seat arena in Charlotte are in recording studios, on the road or overseas.

Promoters last week announced that rock stars Bruce Springsteen and David Lee Roth were among possible acts being booked for the Charlotte concert.

The rock concert was planned in Charlotte to complement a variety production in Los Angeles. Both events were aimed at raising money to replenish Red Cross disaster funds drained by Hurricane Hugo and the San Francisco-Oakland area earthquake.

Officials said the Los Angeles concert at Universal Amphitheater will be carried, possibly by CBS-TV, on that date.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
53°