San Diego

A house fire that the owners thought they had extinguished reignited early Thursday, causing about $300,000 damage to the Del Mar Heights home, San Diego fire officials said.

The first fire began at the home in the 2100 block of Pinar Street when a reading lamp ignited bedding in the master bedroom about 10:45 p.m. Wednesday, firefighter Jennifer Simpson said.

Thinking they had put the fire out, the father and two children were camping outside, and the mother was sleeping downstairs, Simpson said. The Fire Department was not summoned. About 1 a.m. Thursday, the smoke detector went off and the fire, which had been smoldering for about two hours, broke into flames again.

About 40 firefighters, six engines and two trucks were called to fight the two-alarm fire, Simpson said. Although the blaze was confined mainly to the master bedroom, there were smoke and water damage throughout the house, and the home sustained about $225,000 structural damage and $75,000 in damage to its contents, she said.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
60°