L.A. Police Officer Dies in Blaze at His Home
A 27-year-old Los Angeles police officer died from smoke inhalation early Saturday after an electrical short touched off a fire in the San Fernando guest house where he lived, police said.
Manuel E. Valdivia, who had worked out of the Foothill Division since late 1989, was found unconscious in his burning room by two San Fernando police officers, who pulled him to safety, San Fernando Police Officer Debbie Garcia said.
Paramedics and police could not revive him.
Valdivia was pronounced dead at Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills, Garcia said.
The fire engulfed Valdivia’s guest room and the main residence at 523 Newton St. about 3:30 a.m., Garcia said.
A malfunctioning reading lamp apparently ignited bed sheets in Valdivia’s unit, she said.
No other injuries were reported.