Hardison’s Memorable Moments Lift Chatsworth

Share via

What would Chatsworth High’s first berth in a City Section football final in 12 years be without a blast from Coach Myron Gibford’s past?

Probably every bit as sweet as it was in 1979, when Gibford led the Chancellors to a championship in his first year as coach.

For the record:

12:00 a.m. Dec. 8, 1991 For the Record
Los Angeles Times Sunday December 8, 1991 Valley Edition Sports Part C Page 15 Column 1 Zones Desk 1 inches; 34 words Type of Material: Correction
High school football--It was incorrectly reported in Saturday’s edition that Chatsworth qualified for a City Section final for the first time since 1979. Chatsworth lost to Fairfax, 27-0, in the 1985 City 3-A Division championship game.

The memories awaited Gibford moments after Chatsworth outlasted visiting Roosevelt, 17-14, in a 3-A Division semifinal Friday night at Chatsworth. In next week’s final, the Chancellors (9-4) will play Crenshaw, a 10-7 winner over San Pedro.


While well-wishers converged on the coach, a man with an extended hand identified himself as Gary Sims, a member of the Chancellors’ 1979 championship team that defeated Canoga Park for the title.

“Hi, Coach,” Sims said. “Remember me?”

“Sure!” Gibford said, his face glowing as bright as the Chancellors’ orange jerseys. “Fullback, right?”

Gibford also will remember his current running back, senior Montay Hardison.

Carrying a career-high 33 times, Hardison rushed for a game-high 141 yards and scored both Chatsworth touchdowns as the Chancellors chewed up yardage and time in bunches.

Hardison capped an 11-play, 80-yard drive in the second quarter with a four-yard burst to give Chatsworth a 7-0 lead. Hardison carried five times on the drive for 32 yards.

In the third quarter, with Chatsworth clinging to a 10-7 lead, Hardison led the Chancellors on a 14-play, 95-yard touchdown drive. He carried nine times for 37 yards, including a seven-yard, tackle-breaking run for what proved to be the game-winning touchdown.

“This was a big game. I wanted to run the ball,” Hardison said. “The coach said he was going to give it to me 30 times.”


Said Gibford: “We wanted to run that clock down in the third quarter. I don’t know how many times (Hardison carried). We were just going to give him the damn football and let him run.”

Roosevelt (8-3-1), which blew two scoring chances in the first half, pulled to within 10-7 early in the third quarter on a 74-yard hook-and-ladder pass play.

Quarterback Ernesto Ramiro (10 of 21 for 199 yards) hit Jaime Carrera, who immediately pitched the ball to Antwane Embrey, who scored untouched.

Roosevelt drove from its 27-yard line on the game’s opening drive to the Chatsworth two before Ramiro fumbled into the end zone. Chatsworth’s Lamon Odom recovered for a touchback.

On its next drive, Roosevelt marched from its 39-yard line to Chatsworth’s one-yard line, but the Chancellors stacked up Ramiro twice for no gain, then threw him for a four-yard loss.

Louie Campos’ 22-yard field-goal attempt missed.

Chatsworth then embarked on its first touchdown drive.

On Roosevelt’s ensuing possession, Chatsworth free safety Curtis White intercepted a Ramiro pass.


With a first down at the Roosevelt 45-yard line, the Chancellors moved to the six-yard line before the drive stalled, forcing Edward Ramos to kick a 23-yard field goal with 23 seconds to play in the half to give Chatsworth a 10-0 lead.

Roosevelt scored its final touchdown with three minutes to play on a two-yard pass from Ramiro to Embrey.