A 3-year-old boy has became the fifth child to die from injuries suffered in an apartment fire apparently sparked by a smoldering marijuana cigarette. Tony Raybon was suffering from smoke inhalation and was in critical condition when he was taken to Children's Hospital last weekend. He died Monday, said a hospital spokeswoman. Four children ranging in age from 8 months to 15 years old were pronounced dead at the scene. Rena Raybon, the mother of four of the children and grandmother of the infant, reportedly told police that she passed out in the apartment after a night of drinking wine and smoking marijuana. Police homicide investigator Paul Berlin said it was unlikely that charges would be filed. "The feeling is that maybe she's suffered enough. . . . It's not against the law to fall asleep smoking," Berlin said.
From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times