What was the big news in 1980, the year most of the class of ’98 was born?
* 52 Americans were held hostage in Iran
* Ronald Reagan was elected
* The U.S. boycotted the Moscow Olympics. Some American athletes competed in Mission Viejo instead.
* Fires wailed on Carbon, Owl and Indian canyons
* Six days of rain resulted in drownings, landslides and Coto de Caza being cut off
* Disneyland’s Winnie-the-Pooh was acquitted of slugging a kid
* Fountain Valley teachers went on strike for 2 1/2 weeks
* Timothy Leary was fired as a DJ on KEZY in Anaheim after one week
* Crystal Cathedral was dedicated
* The Rams open at an expanded Anaheim stadium (the team made the playoffs)
* The Angels finished the season with a 65-95 record.