Bleach Spill Sends 10 Workers to Area Hospitals
Ten workers were treated at local hospitals Thursday after they were overcome by chlorine bleach fumes from a spill at a grocery warehouse, the Brea Fire Department reported.
The workers at the Albertson’s distribution center, 200 N. Puente St., were cleaning up the mess from 12 pallets of bleach that toppled at about 4:10 p.m., fire Capt. Hank Roemisch said. Each pallet contained about 20 four-gallon cases, he said.
“That’s quite a few gallons of bleach,” Roemisch said. “They had a crew cleaning it up. Quite a few of them were overcome by the fumes. A few of them were burned when they got splashed.”
The workers were treated at Brea Community Hospital, Placentia Linda Community Hospital and St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton, but none of the injuries was serious, Roemisch said.
Firefighters used a large fan to ventilate the warehouse while other Albertson’s workers hosed down the spill. The cleanup took about two hours, Roemisch said.