Amy Jones, The Times’ regional girls’ swimmer of the year from Cleveland High, finished second in the 200-meter freestyle in 2:05.32 at the Speedo Junior Championships West meet Thursday night at Cal State Bakersfield.
Keiko Amano of Buenaventura Swim Club, a junior at Villanova Prep, finished fourth in the girls’ 200 freestyle in 2:055.97.
Aron Gyuris, of Thousand Oaks High and Conejo Simi Aquatics, was fifth in the boys’ 100 freestyle in 53.31 seconds on Wednesday.
Jason Weber of Conejo Simi was sixth in the 200 backstroke in 2:06.83.
Jamie Zwick, a Buckley graduate competing for Canyons Aquatics, placed eighth in the 200 breaststroke in 2:25.90.
* No. 2-seeded Jesse Ferlianto of Canyon Country defeated top-seeded Hagop Timourian of Glendale, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1, on Friday to win the boys’ 18 championship in the third annual Jack Kramer Summer Junior Open at Burbank Tennis Center.
Fourth-seeded Lori Stern of Ojai won the girls’ 16 division by defeating unseeded Ashley Gleitman of Beverly Hills, 6-4, 6-0.
Kate Jolson of Beverly Hills beat No. 2-seeded Modesta Salmeron of Granada Hills, 6-3, 6-1, in the girls’ 18 final.
* Jeremy Munson of La Crescenta defeated John Siefke of Apple Valley, 7-6, 7-6, and John Rom of Van Nuys beat Lester Cook of Calabasas, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5) Friday to advance to the quarterfinals of the U.S. Tennis Assn. professional satellite wild-card tournament at Flint Canyon Tennis Club in La Canada.
Semifinalists earn wild-card berths into a pro satellite tournament in September.
TRACK AND FIELD
* Amber Reardon, a junior college All-American from Spokane Falls Community College, has transferred to Cal State Northridge, where she will be a junior.
She has bests of 149-0 in the discus and 148-0 in the hammer.
* The West Valley Eagles will hold sign-ups for Pop Warner football and cheerleading squads for youngsters 6-14 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. today at Lanark Park in Canoga Park. Information: (818) 876-1688 or (818) 999-5197.
* Le Club Gymnastics in Chatsworth will host an exhibition in conjunction with National Gymnastics Day from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. today at Topanga Plaza Mall in Woodland Hills. Li Ning, who won six medals for China at the 1984 Olympic Games, is expected to make an appearance.