The top five players who tried and failed in sectional qualifying for this week's U.S. Open at Southern Hills in Tulsa, Okla.:
1. CURTIS STRANGE: A two-time U.S. Open champion, winning back-to-back in 1988-89. What, no special exemption? Hey, thanks for playing our game.
2. FUZZY ZOELLER: A former U.S. Open and Masters champion. So what if he hasn't won a tournament in 15 years? Think of the fun of having him around.
3. JOHN DALY: A two-time major winner, but not in the U.S. Open. At least he completed both rounds in qualifying before he walked off the course.
4. SCOTT SIMPSON: Another former U.S. Open champion. He probably would have been just fine if paired with his normal partner, Bill Murray.
5. STEVE ELKINGTON: He's had a rough go of it lately, but has won a major (the 1995 PGA Championship).