Don Lugo Looks Poised to Set Mt. SAC Record
Canyon Country Canyon was the No. 2-ranked boys’ cross-country team in the nation in 2001 when it set a course team time record of 76 minutes 57 seconds over Mt. San Antonio College’s 2.91-mile layout.
But Canyon co-Coach Dave DeLong said he wouldn’t be surprised if that record is broken Saturday by Chino Don Lugo in the Division I race of the Southern Section championships at Mt. SAC.
Over the last month, Don Lugo has run three of the seven fastest performances recorded on the course in use at Mt. SAC since 1999.
The cumulative time of Don Lugo’s top five runners was 77:32 in the team sweepstakes race of the Mt. SAC Invitational on Oct. 25, 77:22 in the Mt. Baldy League finals Nov. 5 and 77:32 in a Division I qualifying heat of the Southern Section preliminaries Saturday.
“I think this team could go down as one of the best teams in [state] history,” DeLong said about Don Lugo, the No. 13-ranked team in the nation by Harrier magazine. “And what’s scary is that they [have only three seniors among their top seven runners].”
-- John Ortega
Fountain Valley’s football game against Fontana in the first round of the Southern Section Division I playoffs Friday has been moved to Huntington Beach High. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m.
In other playoff updates:
* Sites have been selected for two other first-round Division I games on Friday. Los Alamitos will play host to Santa Margarita at Long Beach Wilson, and Los Angeles Loyola will play host to Anaheim Esperanza at Glendale High.
* Kickoff for the Division III game between host Beverly Hills and Antelope Valley has been changed to 6 p.m. Friday.
* Ontario Colony will be the site for the Division VII game between Palm Desert and Ontario on Friday.
* In Division XI, Santa Monica St. Monica will play host to Big Bear at Playa del Rey St. Bernard on Friday.
* In Division XIII, Pasadena Poly’s game against Sierra Madre Maranatha on Friday has been moved to South Pasadena High; San Juan Capistrano Capistrano Valley Christian’s game against Riverside California School for the Deaf will be played at 2 p.m. on Thursday at San Juan Capistrano Saddleback Valley Christian, and La Canada Flintridge Prep’s game against visiting Temecula Linfield Christian will be played at 7 p.m. Saturday at Duarte High.
* In the City Section, all games in the first round will be played Thursday, beginning at 7 p.m., with these exceptions: L.A. Fairfax at Van Nuys Grant, 2:15 p.m.; L.A. Wilson at L.A. University, 2 p.m.; and Canoga Park at Los Angeles, 2 p.m.