Big field goal seals comeback

From the Associated Press

The Tennessee Titans have tapped into a major vein of comeback magic.

Rob Bironas kicked a 60-yard field goal -- the franchise's longest ever -- with seven seconds left, and the Titans upset Indianapolis, 20-17, for their first victory over the Colts since December 2002 and their second straight amazing comeback.

The team that tied for the NFL's second-biggest comeback in the final 10 minutes last week against the New York Giants struck again against the Colts (10-2), who had lost only four of their previous 36 games.

The Titans (5-7) didn't trail by 21 this time, but they were down, 14-0, in the first half before starting this comeback just before halftime. They intercepted passes by Peyton Manning twice, and Vince Young threw for two touchdowns and used his legs to help keep the ball away from the two-time NFL MVP.

Indianapolis came in needing a victory to clinch the division for a club-record fourth straight year and its seventh playoff berth in eight years.

After Bironas' kick -- he made a 49-yarder with six seconds left to beat the Giants -- Tennessee still had to kick the ball back to the Colts. But Manning never got his hands on it again.

Bryan Fletcher caught the kickoff, lateraled to Marvin Harrison, who tossed to Kelvin Hayden, who was tackled, running the last seconds off the clock.

The Titans then swarmed the field, celebrating with the fans who didn't want to leave.

Indianapolis out-gained Tennessee, 451-382, but the Colts only had the ball for a little more than 12 minutes in the second half and got only 47 yards in the third quarter.

The Titans came into the game allowing the most yards in the NFL.

Young finished 12 for 25 for 163 yards, and he scrambled nine times for 78 yards, his biggest rushing day this year.

Manning finished 21 for 28 for 351 yards and a 68-yard touchdown pass to Harrison, who had seven receptions for 172 yards.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World