Arrest made in fatal stabbing

Times Staff Writers

Los Angeles police have arrested a man in connection with the highly publicized stabbing death of a woman in July in the parking garage of a Century City office complex, according to a law enforcement source.

Detectives from LAPD’s Robbery Homicide Division arrested 47-year-old Jose Luis Moya last week on suspicion of murder for his alleged role in the death of Pamela Fayed, the source said.

Authorities had previously identified Fayed’s husband, James, as the prime suspect in the killing.


Moya, who worked as the manager of James Fayed’s Moorpark ranch, allegedly rented a sport utility vehicle that was used in the attack and was seen fleeing from the scene in the vehicle, according to a law enforcement source who requested anonymity due to the sensitivity of the ongoing investigation. Moya is not believed to have actually wielded the knife in the attack, the source said.

Moya was arrested Thursday and is being held without bail in Los Angeles County Jail, according to the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department website.

Pamela Fayed was stabbed in the neck and face in July by a suspect who was described as a slender man in his 20s wearing a black, hooded sweat shirt. A red sport utility vehicle was seen speeding away from the bloody scene. The stabbing took place in front of several witnesses.

James Fayed was arrested shortly after his wife’s death on fraud charges stemming from the couple’s international gold trading business and remains in custody.

He has not been charged with his wife’s death, but prosecutors in court proceedings described him as “the primary suspect,” saying his credit card had been used to rent the vehicle they believed was later driven by the killer.

A judge later ordered James Fayed should be held without bail.


James Fayed’s attorney has called the prosecution’s allegations unsubstantiated and uncorroborated.

Assistant U.S. Atty. Mark Aveis in court proceedings last month said Fayed told his wife, “I could have you killed and my hands would be clean,” gesturing as if he were wiping his hands.

Aveis also said that Fayed had a motive to have his wife killed so she could not testify against him in a criminal case relating to his business, an operation the prosecutor described as Ponzi schemes in which individuals invested up to $20 million.

A month before she was killed, Pamela Fayed had offered to help federal prosecutors in the criminal probe into the business she owned with her husband, court documents later revealed. James Fayed’s attorney said his client was unaware of her offer.

Family and friends of Pamela Fayed told The Times that Pamela felt her life might be in danger for months leading up to her death.

The couple was engaged in bitter divorce proceedings at the time of Pamela’s death, and prosecutors noted in court documents that James Fayed was expected to be ordered to pay about $1 million in spousal support and attorney fees on July 29, the day after his wife was killed.

The couple had two children, an 18-year-old daughter from Pamela’s first marriage, and a 9-year-old daughter.


Times staff writer Victoria Kim contributed to this report.