The Maria fire broke out atop South Mountain, just south of Santa Paula, about 6:14 p.m. Thursday and quickly burned toward the small agricultural towns of Somis and Saticoy in Ventura County. By Friday afternoon, the fire had changed direction, burning toward neighborhoods in Santa Paula.
The fire has charred 9,412 acres and is 0% contained. Video of the fire’s ignition was captured by a camera from the ALERT Wildfire program.
Mandatory evacuation orders are in place for the area south of Mountain Road, east of West Los Angeles Avenue, west of Balcom Canyon Road and north of the 118 Freeway. In Santa Paula, mandatory evacuation orders are in place south of the 126 Freeway, east of Campanula Avenue, west of South Briggs Road and north of Santa Clara River.
Roughly 2,300 structures are threatened, and 8,000 people are under evacuation orders.
- Camarillo Community Center (open at 9 p.m.), 1605 Burnley St.
- Camarillo Animal Shelter (small animals), 600 Aviation Dr.
- Ventura County Fairgrounds (large animals), 10 W. Harbor Blvd. in Ventura
- Earl Warren Showgrounds (large animals), 3400 Calle Real in Santa Barbara
The Times is offering fire coverage for free today. Please consider a subscription to support our journalism.
South Mountain Road is closed between 12th Street and Balcom Canyon Road.
Berylwood Road is closed at Aggen Road.
West La Loma Road is closed between Center Road and Walnut Avenue.
Price Road is closed at E. Los Angeles Avenue (Highway 118).
Clubhouse Drive is closed at E. Los Angeles Avenue (Highway 118).
La Vista Avenue is closed at W. Los Angeles Avenue (Highway 118).
- Mesa Union School District
- Mupu Elementary School District
- Oxnard Union High School District
- Santa Paula Unified School District
- Briggs School District
- Hueneme Elementary School District
- Santa Clara Elementary School District
- ACE (Camarillo)
- University Preparation (Camarillo)