Fire near Laguna Beach: Evacuations, closures
A brush fire broke out early Thursday near Laguna Beach in the Emerald Bay area. The fire has burned 145 acres and is about 20% contained.
Here is what we know:
- Irvine Cove and Emerald Bay were under mandatory evacuations for most of the day.
- North Laguna (all residents north of Broadway) were under an evacuation warning.
- The evacuations were lifted around 3 p.m., and residents are able to return home.
- Portions of Coast Highway were closed for several hours early Thursday. The road reopened Thursday afternoon.
- All Laguna Beach schools were closed. Schools are expected to reopen on Friday.
- Orange County parks and California state parks remain closed in the fire-affected areas.
- The Los Olivos Community Center, at 101 Alfonso, Irvine.
- An evacuation center is also open at the Laguna Beach Community and the Susi Q Center in Laguna Beach.
Source: City of Laguna Beach and Orange County Fire Authority
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.