CMA Awards lassos nearly 1.67-million tweets to top ‘Walking Dead’
ABC turned Twitter into a tailgate party last week.
The 47th Annual CMA Awards, the kudos-fest honoring the year’s top country music stars, was the most tweeted-about telecast of the week that ended Sunday, drawing nearly 1.67 million mentions on the micro-blogging site, according to Nielsen’s SocialGuide.
The gala, at which veteran performer George Strait won his third Entertainer of the Year award and Taylor Swift went home with the Pinnacle Award, had an audience of about 8 million Twitter users, making its reach about 75% greater than the nearest competitor, AMC’s Sunday night ratings juggernaut “The Walking Dead.”
The zombie drama had an audience of about 4.55 million users and drew more than 416,000 tweets.
Next in the rankings were FX’s anthology “American Horror Story: Coven,” with a reach of 2.82 million, and NBC’s Monday edition of “The Voice” -- now in the live competition rounds -- which had an audience of around 1.95 million.
Some shows, including Fox’s “The X Factor” and ABC’s “Scandal,” inspired more tweeting than “American Horror Story” and “The Voice,” but those tweets did not reach the same amount of unique users, according to SocialGuide’s data.
Here are the rankings:
- The 47th Annual CMA Awards (ABC), Wednesday, unique audience: 8,000,700, Tweets: 1,667,700
- “The Walking Dead” (AMC), Sunday, unique audience: 4,547,500, Tweets: 416,200
- “American Horror Story: Coven” (FX), Wednesday, unique audience: 2,820,200, Tweets: 154,300
- “The Voice” (NBC), Monday, unique audience: 1,952,000, Tweets: 145,800
- “Dancing With the Stars” (ABC), Monday, unique audience: 1,715,200, Tweets: 46,600
- “Miss Universe” (NBC), Saturday, unique audience: 1,627,300, Tweets: 84,600
- “The X Factor” (Fox), Wednesday, unique audience: 1,626,500, Tweets: 170,400
- “The Voice” (NBC), Tuesday, unique audience: 1,610,200, Tweets: 96,500
- “Scandal” (ABC), Thursday, unique audience: 1,505,900, Tweets: 186,500
- “Glee” (Fox), Thursday, unique audience: 1,341,300, Tweets: 123,900
Follow on Twitter: @rfaughnder
From the Oscars to the Emmys.
Get the Envelope newsletter for exclusive awards season coverage, behind-the-scenes stories from the Envelope podcast and columnist Glenn Whipp’s must-read analysis.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.