Months after Sony Pictures Entertainment suffered from a crippling cyberattack, troves of the studio’s leaked information has resurfaced on WikiLeaks, potentially reopening one of the darkest chapters in the Culver City studio’s history.
Sony Pictures Entertainment Co-Chairman Amy Pascal’s announcement that she would step down from her job at the studio came less than two months after thousands of her personal, often controversial emails leaked online.
Amy Pascal, long considered one of the most powerful women in Hollywood — and a throwback to old-school moviemaking — is stepping down from her co-chair job at Sony Pictures Entertainment in the wake of the devastating cyberattack that crippled the studio.
The head of the FBI said Wednesday that the shadowy hacker group blamed by the U.S. for the computer attack against Sony Pictures Entertainment “got sloppy” and left behind clues that point to North Korea’s involvement.
President Obama ordered new economic sanctions Friday against North Korea aimed at increasing financial pressure on the rogue state’s leadership, a preliminary retaliatory action by the administration in response to what it calls the “destructive and coercive” cyberattack on Sony Pictures Entertainment computers.
“The Interview” is coming to Dish Network’s video-on-demand service on Friday, making it the latest and last of the major pay television services to carry the controversial Seth Rogen-James Franco comedy.
Seth Rogen and James Franco’s North Korea-themed assassination comedy “The Interview” has already had one of the more unusual rollouts in recent memory, going from a planned wide release to a cancellation to a simultaneous VOD and limited theatrical release.
It seems Sony’s ‘The Interview’ didn’t need a wide release after all The studio reported that its Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg comedy collected $2.8 million in 331 independent movie theaters and more than $15 million online since its launch last week.
A slow trickle of moviegoers gathered in West Hollywood on Thursday morning to check out “The Interview,” the comedy about North Korea that has wound up in the center of a real-life geopolitical imbroglio.
Capping weeks of headline-grabbing tumult over the Seth Rogen-James Franco comedy “The Interview,” the film finally began to roll out into 331 independent theaters nationwide just after midnight on Christmas Eve.
On Wednesday, Sony announced it would release the embattled comedy “The Interview” on a host of digital platforms--including Google Play, Microsoft Xbox and YouTube--and make it available for rental or purchase from Christmas Eve through the holiday weekend.
After mounting pressure from theater owners, celebrities and even the White House, Sony has decided to release “The Interview” on about 200 screens beginning Christmas Day, reversing an earlier plan to scrap the opening of the controversial comedy.
Theater owners say Sony Pictures Entertainment plans to release “The Interview” in the home as well as in theaters on Christmas Day, a move that is likely to heighten tensions between the embattled studio and cinema chains.
Sony Pictures Entertainment called on Twitter to stop its users from tweeting information leaked in the hack of the studio’s computer systems, saying it would hold Twitter responsible for damages unless the company complies.
An alliance of independent movie theaters says art house cinemas are willing to screen Sony Pictures’ “The Interview,” the Kim Jong Un assassination comedy that was pulled from release in the wake of terror threats.
In the early 1990s, writer-director Jim Abrahams was making a big studio comedy about a mission to kill a foreign dictator — and not just any foreign dictator, one the United States had recently gone to war against: Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.
North Korea’s defense department asserted Sunday that the U.S. government was “deeply involved” in the making of the Sony Pictures comedy “The Interview” and threatened to “blow up” the White House, the Pentagon and other U.S. targets if Washington launched an assault to retaliate for the cyberattack on the studio.
North Korea on Saturday proposed a joint investigation with the U.S. into the hacking attack against Sony Pictures Entertainment, warning of “serious” consequences if Washington rejects a probe that it believes would prove Pyongyang had nothing to do with the cyberattack.
One of the more surreal weeks to hit the movie industry in recent memory got even stranger Friday as the president of the United States of America spent part of his last press conference of the year giving a shout-out to Seth Rogen and James, er, “Flacco.”
President Obama on Friday said Sony Pictures “made a mistake” in canceling the release of the satirical film “The Interview” after threats from anonymous hackers, offering an unusual public rebuke by a president of a corporate decision along with a strong defense of free expression.
As Sony Pictures’ cancellation of “The Interview” continues to raise a clamor around the world, the two people at the very center of this riveting drama — the film’s co-directors, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg — have been silent.
A number of North Korea experts on Thursday echoed U.S. intelligence officials’ assessment that the reclusive regime was somehow connected with the computer hack of Sony Pictures Entertainment, leading to a massive leak of sensitive data and threats that prompted the studio to cancel release of the North Korea-themed comedy “The Interview.”
Sony Pictures Entertainment’s extraordinary decision to scrap the Christmas release of “The Interview” came amid mounting pressure from powerful theater owners and other studios concerned that the film’s release could keep moviegoers away from multiplexes during the holidays, one of the most lucrative periods for Hollywood.
Concerned about threats to moviegoers, theater owners are starting to pull “The Interview” from their holiday lineups amid a relentless cyberattack that has wreaked havoc on Sony Pictures Entertainment.
Theater owners are considering canceling plans to put “The Interview” on their screens in the wake of new threats by the hacking group that has unleashed a relentless cyber attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment.
In an interview with The Times the week before a devastating cyberattack on Sony Pictures came to light, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, co-directors of the upcoming comedy “The Interview,” seemed fairly cavalier about the possibility that North Korea could take serious action in response to the film.
Stunned by a massive leak of sensitive documents, Sony Pictures Enterprises embarked Sunday on an attempt to contain the crisis by discouraging further media coverage of the leaked emails, which have embarrassed Hollywood stars and the studio’s top executives.
The producers of James Bond films have acknowledged that an early version of the screenplay for the new movie “Spectre” was among the material stolen in the massive cyberattack on Sony Pictures Entertainment.
Seth Rogen and James Franco went through with the premiere for their latest comedy “The Interview” on Thursday amid a cyber attack on Sony Pictures entertainment and threats on the studio from North Korea.
Federal investigators are getting closer to confirming that North Korea was behind the embarrassing cyberattack on Sony Pictures Entertainment’s computer systems, the head of the House Intelligence Committee said Friday.
In an alternative universe without blaring headlines about leaked emails, security breaches and North Korean denunciations, one imagines that Sony Pictures would have put on a splashy premiere for its upcoming Seth Rogen-James Franco comedy “The Interview,” opening on Christmas.
Sony Pictures Entertainment co-Chairman Amy Pascal, one of the most powerful executives in Hollywood, has come under intensifying pressure after the release of confidential emails in which she made racially insensitive remarks about President Obama.
Sony Pictures Entertainment is going through with its red carpet rollout for the Seth Rogen-James Franco comedy “The Interview” on Thursday evening in Los Angeles -- but unlike other Hollywood premieres, no press interviews will be allowed.
Months before a devastating computer attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment, studio executives debated the risk of releasing the upcoming comedy “The Interview” amid threats from North Korea that the movie was tantamount to an act of war.
An online message claiming to be from the group that hacked Sony Pictures Entertainment’s computer systems demanded that the studio stop showing “the movie of terrorism,” a reference to the Seth Rogen-James Franco comedy “The Interview.”
Federal law enforcement officials investigating the escalating computer hacking attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment say they are taking seriously the possibility that the North Korean government may be behind the crime.
A cyber security firm investigating the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment has called the attack on the studio’s technology systems “unprecedented,” Michael Lynton, Sony chief executive, told employees Saturday in an email.
Judd Apatow, Sylvester Stallone and Rebel Wilson were among the roughly 47,000 people whose personal information was hacked during the massive Sony security breach, according to data-security consulting firm Identity Finder.
The upcoming comedy from Sony Pictures Entertainment, “The Interview,” was expected to draw the ire of the North Korean government, with a plot that depicts a fictional assassination attempt on leader Kim Jong Un.
In an email to thousands of employees on Tuesday evening, Sony Pictures Entertainment executives Amy Pascal and Michael Lynton said they are “deeply saddened” by the security breach that led to leaked personal employee and company information.
If Sony Pictures employees return to work Monday after the Thanksgiving weekend without computer or email access, it will mark the beginning of the second week of blackout for the Culver City movie studio after a widespread hack.