Advertisement
California

Suspect in bomb threats that followed San Bernardino attack is arrested

2425617_HE_0415_Blue_Zone_IK

A view of Loma Linda Medical Center and University.

(Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)

A string of bomb threats that forced the evacuation of a school and hospital in San Bernardino County were the work of a 19-year-old man from Phelan, authorities said Wednesday.

It took less than half a day for San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputies to trace three telephoned bomb threats to John Albert Davis, who allegedly started making the threats just before 10 a.m. Tuesday, authorities said.

The threats — to Loma Linda University Medical Center, Grand Terrace High School and an apartment complex — came less than a week after the hospital was locked down and searched for explosives following a mass shooting at a San Bernardino holiday party that left 14 people dead and 21 injured. The two shooters in last week’s incident, who were later killed in a gun battle with police, were self-radicalized terrorists, authorities said.

Davis allegedly called Loma Linda hospital and said “making a bomb and the hospital better be ready,” then hung up. He then allegedly called Grand Terrace High School and said there was a bomb on campus.

Advertisement

Investigators said both threats and a third to a residential complex all came from the same number. 

Davis was booked about 8 p.m. Tuesday on suspicion of making a false bomb threat. He’s being held in lieu of $25,000.

For breaking California news, follow @JosephSerna.


Newsletter
Get our Essential California newsletter
Advertisement