UCSB sorority targeted by Isla Vista shooting suspect urges privacy
The sorority allegedly targeted by a student whose shooting rampage in Isla Vista near UC Santa Barbara killed seven people, including the gunman, asked for privacy as authorities continued to piece together what happened.
The suspect named by law enforcement, Elliot Rodger, 22, wrote in a document about waging a “war on women,” specifically mentioning a sorority.
“I will attack the very girls who represent everything I hate in the female gender: The hottest sorority of UCSB,” he wrote.
On Friday night, officials said, Rodger shot three women standing outside the Alpha Phi sorority. On Sunday, a sign was posted outside reading: “This organization will not be commenting on last night’s events. Please respect us at this time.” Security guards were also stationed there.
Authorities said Rodger, a Santa Barbara City College student and son of a film director, allegedly began his rampage by fatally stabbing three roommates at his apartment complex.
Officials say he then went to a sorority a few blocks away. Authorities say he loudly banged on the door but no one answered. He then opened fire on three women nearby, fatally wounding two of them, authorities said.
Rodger’s next stop, said Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bob Brown, was a local deli, where he fatally shot a UC Santa Barbara student inside.
The suspect then drove his BMW, opening fire on pedestrians and others on the street, Brown said. He then got into a gun battle with deputies. Apparently wounded, he continued to drive. He was eventually found dead of a gunshot wound to the head that appeared self-inflicted.
Deputies found three guns that were all legally purchased and registered to him.
In the printed document, Rodger described his anger and alienation.
“On the day before the Day of Retribution, I will start the First Phase of my vengeance: Silently killing as many people as I can around Isla Vista by luring them into my apartment through some form of trickery,” he wrote.
The manifesto appears to be similar to YouTube videos Rodger made.
One of Rodger’s parents called a law enforcement agency last month, warning about disturbing videos he was posting online, according to a source close to the family. It was unclear which videos they saw.
In the last video, posted Friday night and titled “Elliot Rodger’s retribution,” Rodger described his anger toward women and men.
“I’m 22 years old and still a virgin, never even kissed a girl. And through college, 2 1/2 years, more than that actually, I’m still a virgin. It has been very torturous,” he said. “The popular kids, you never accepted me and now you will all pay for it. Girls, all I ever wanted was to love you, be loved by you. I wanted a girlfriend. I wanted sex, love, affection, adoration.”
Brown on Sunday defended his agency’s handling of a visit deputies made last month to Rodger.
In April, family members called the sheriff’s department expressing concern about Elliot Rodger’s health. The deputies said Rodger seemed to be fine and they did not take any action against him.
Brown told CBS News’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday that he wasn’t sure whether the deputies checked to see if Rodger had any weapons registered in his name. Had they done that, the check would have shown Rodger had legally purchased three guns. Because Rodger had never been institutionalized or held by authorities, Brown added, he was permitted to have the guns.
“Obviously, looking back on this, it’s a very tragic situation, and we certainly wish that we could turn the clock back and maybe change some things,” Brown told CBS.
The sheriff added that deputies who checked on Rodger followed procedure and that they were convinced he was not a harm to himself. Rodger, he added, had a “a very convincing story.”
Must-read stories from the L.A. Times
Get the day's top news with our Today's Headlines newsletter, sent every weekday morning.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.