Man arrested in Venice Beach shooting that left 1 dead, 1 wounded
A man was arrested Sunday in connection with a shooting at the Venice Beach boardwalk that left one man dead and wounded another, Los Angeles police said.
Officers responded about 2 a.m. on reports of shots fired in the 300 block of Ocean Front Walk, according to LAPD Officer Norma Eisenman.
The arriving officers were directed by witnesses to two men who had been shot. One of the victims, a homeless man named Jascent-Jamal Warren, 26, was pronounced dead at the scene, said Lt. Larry Dietz of the L.A. County coroner’s office. Another victim, a man in his 40s, was shot in the leg and taken to a hospital, where he was listed in stable condition, according to Eisenman.
An unidentified man was arrested shortly after 8 a.m. and booked on suspicion of murder, police said. The man is being held in lieu of $1-million bail.
Friends of the man who died at the scene told KTLA-TV Channel 5 that he went by the nickname “Shakespeare” and was known to be a peaceful and helpful person.
Officers have determined that both shooting victims were involved in a dispute when someone pulled out a gun and fired at them.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact the LAPD’s West Bureau homicide division at (213) 382-9470.
Get breaking news, investigations, analysis and more signature journalism from the Los Angeles Times in your inbox.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.