For the sixth consecutive week, Mission Viejo High School is the top-ranked team in the Orange County Sportswriters’ Assn. prep football poll.
Mission Viejo has 8 consecutive victories but received its closest challenge of the season last Friday, stopping Irvine’s 2-point conversion attempt with 1:50 remaining in a 14-13 victory.
Woodbridge, ranked fourth, has the county’s longest current winning streak with 12 consecutive victories over the last 2 seasons.
In the featured game this week, third-ranked Servite will meet Loyola, the nation’s top-ranked team according to USA Today, at 7:30 Saturday night at Glendale High.
The writers’ poll:
Pos. School (League) Record
1. Mission Viejo (South Coast) 8-0
2. Fountain Valley (Sunset) 6-2
3. Servite (Angelus) 7-1
4. Woodbridge (Pacific Coast) 8-0
5. Edison (Sunset) 7-1
6. Valencia (Orange) 7-0-1
7. Los Alamitos (Empire) 7-0-1
8. El Toro (South Coast) 5-3
9. Corona del Mar (Sea View) 6-0-2
10. Pacifica (Garden Grove) 6-1-1
Others Receiving Votes: Santa Ana (5-3), Mater Dei (4-4), Kennedy (6-1-1) and Irvine (5-3).